Is Pennsylvania a No-Fault State for Auto Insurance?

When a car accident happens, we like to think our insurance companies are here to help us. However, you may have questions about your coverage, and you may be concerned that your compensation is on the line because of liability and your insurance policy.

If you’ve been injured in a car accident and you’re struggling to get the insurance settlement offer you’re due, reach out for help. Your lawyer can help you navigate the no-fault system and get compensation for your injuries.

Pennsylvania Insurance Requirements for All Drivers

Pennsylvania law requires all drivers to have car insurance. The minimum car insurance requirements for drivers in Pennsylvania include liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage. This means that if you are involved in a car accident, your insurance will cover the damages and injuries of the other driver, passengers, and their vehicle.

Pennsylvania is a no-fault state, which means that drivers each driver’s insurance covers their own damages and injuries regardless of who caused the accident. This system is designed to reduce the number of lawsuits resulting from car accidents.

However, that doesn’t mean you’re unable to sue in every case. In severe cases, your needs may exceed the limits of your no-fault insurance policy. In these cases, your lawyer can represent you and help you get compensated fairly.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Pennsylvania also requires drivers to carry uninsured motorist (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. UM coverage protects you if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have insurance. UIM coverage kicks in if the at-fault driver’s insurance doesn’t cover all of your damages or injuries.

The minimum UM/UIM coverage required in Pennsylvania is also 15/30/5. However, like liability coverage, you may want to consider purchasing additional UM/UIM coverage to protect yourself further.

What Damages Can You Seek Compensation for in Pennsylvania?

Pennsylvania allows victims to seek compensation for both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages refer to tangible losses that can be quantified, such as medical expenses and lost wages. Non-economic damages are more subjective and include things like pain and suffering.

Below is just a sample of the damages you may seek:

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Future medical expenses
  • Lost earning capacity
  • Pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life
  • Loss of consortium
  • Property damage

Keep in mind that your insurance settlement may not include your non-economic damages. Because of this, if you and your lawyer believe your pain and suffering are serious enough, you may need to file a lawsuit to get the compensation you’re due.

Talk to Your Lawyer About Your Insurance Settlement Options

When you’re hurt in a car accident, one of your first options is your insurance company. While Pennsylvania’s no-fault insurance policies make minor accidents easier to settle, you may still find yourself struggling to get compensated fairly.

That’s where the lawyers at Baratta Law, LLC can step in. We have the tools to help you recover from an accident, even if the insurance company doesn’t want to pay. When you’re ready to learn more, get started with a free consultation with our team. Call 215-914-8132 or complete the online contact form below to get in touch.

Contact Baratta Law

Main Form