If you’ve fallen in a store, your first impulse may be to get up and leave, but don’t. You may have suffered an injury and not even know it.
If you have been injured after a slip and fall in a store and do not know what to do, follow the steps below to protect your rights and then contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you.
Reporting Your Slip and Fall
If you need medical attention, ask for it. It’s usually a good idea to call an ambulance and be taken to the emergency room, even if you think you only have minor injuries. The ER doctor will diagnose you and provide evidence that you were hurt.
After that, reporting the incident will help prove your case if you decide to go to court and will also help others avoid similar injuries by alerting the store of any safety concerns. When reporting your accident, make sure you have the following information:
- The name and address of the store where you were injured
- Their phone number
- Their website and email address
- The name of the manager on duty at the time of your accident
Avoid Common Pitfalls After a Slip and Fall in a Store
When it comes to the actions you take after a fall, what you don’t do is almost as important as what you do. Read on to learn about common pitfalls that could jeopardize your case.
- Get Medical Care – Try not to move your body because the store could claim that you made your injuries worse by, for instance, getting up and walking around. Stay put and call for medical assistance while keeping in mind that you are likely being filmed by store surveillance cameras.
- Document What Happened – It’s critical to document what happened as soon as possible with photos of your injury and the site of the accident. You should also speak with witnesses who were present at the time of your fall.
- Don’t Exaggerate – When it comes to talking about your injuries with others, especially if you’re planning on filing a lawsuit against the store owner or business where you fell, make sure that all information is truthful and accurate. Stay away from exaggerations because they could hurt your case later on down the road.
- Stay off Social Media – The store’s defense lawyers will be scouring your social media to find evidence that you are lying so avoid posting on sites like Instagram or Twitter.
Consult a Lawyer That Handles Slip and Falls
Once you’ve had the opportunity to rest, assess your injuries and take care of any immediate medical needs, it’s important to decide if you want to pursue legal action. At this juncture, most people seek the advice of a personal injury attorney.
We will review your case and help determine if you can bring a premises liability or other type of lawsuit against the store. Call Baratta Law, LLC at 215-914-8132 or complete our online contact form to speak with qualified lawyers today.