How to Get an Accident Report in Philadelphia

How to Get an Accident Report in Philadelphia

When you’re hurt in a car accident, you need all possible evidence available to get the answers you need about your claim. One of those key pieces of evidence is a police report, which serves as a testimony about the accident, how it happened, and who caused the accident.

Under Pennsylvania law, all accidents involving injury, death, or an immobilized vehicle must be reported to the police as soon as possible, so call 911 as soon as possible. Even if injuries and damage are not immediately apparent, having a police report can help your case if you have to go to court.

The attorneys of Baratta Law, LLC understand that this is a difficult time, so feel free to reach out to our staff for assistance during any part of this process.

Where to Get a Philadelphia Accident Report

Where you get your accident report in Philadelphia depends on where the accident happened.

If city police investigate your accident, then you may request a copy of the report either by mail or in person at City Hall. You will be required to include a request form, which can be downloaded. If you choose to respond by mail, you will need to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope in addition to the $25 fee.

If your accident was outside city limits, then the state police will investigate, and you should contact the Pennsylvania State Police Department for a copy of the accident report.

You will need to wait at least fifteen days after the crash to submit your request either online or by mail. The fee is $22. Only money orders or certified checks made out to the Pennsylvania State Police Crash Reports Unit are acceptable.

Other Sources to Get an Accident Report in Philadelphia

You can ask the police officer who responded to your crash to provide you with a copy of his or her report. This is a good option if no one was injured in your collision and if there are no pending criminal charges against anyone involved, for example, as long as no one is suspected of drunk driving.

You may also consider contacting your insurance company to ask them about getting copies of any reports related to the accident. That includes reports pertaining to claims made against them by other drivers involved.

Contact a Philadelphia Car Accident Attorney for Aid

If you were involved in an accident in Philadelphia, it is very helpful to get a copy of the accident report so you have solid proof of what happened. If you want to avoid paying more than necessary for repairs and injuries, you may also want to contact an experienced attorney. Your attorney can give you the guidance you need, from your free first consultation to the final decision.

We can negotiate directly with the other driver’s insurance company on your behalf or file a lawsuit against them so that they pay for medical bills or lost wages from the time you were forced to take off from work. Please complete our online form or call Baratta Law, LLC at 215-914-8132 for immediate assistance.

Contact Baratta Law

Main Form